Tag Archives: birthday
Every year with Ella gets better and better. Her 5th birthday this year was very low key – especially as her first day of kindergarten started the very next day.
We ate birthday brunch at Radical Eats, played like crazy people and opened gifts with cake before hitting the sack early for the big day to come.
Birthday loot included:
- Super fab hot pink Tony Hawk BMX bike (her very first – with training wheels of course)
- Spiderman glove / web shooter thingie
- Buzz Lightyear toy
- Light up, spiky bouncy ball (much loved)
- Hello Kitty lip gloss set
- Cars candy
- Book of flower and heart tattoos (a big deal around these parts)
- Strawberry cheesecake with Spiderman candles
We’ve graduated to a new neighborhood with a great (public = no massive tuition!!!, Vanguard program) school within a 30 second drive – but unfortunately we found ourselves one street away from the appropriate zoning.
Seriously, one street. After an initial application, testing, interview and lottery process (WHEW)- we got the good news, Ella made it! I hopped up and down like it was Harvard.
Her first day was great, especially since her birthday was the day before (5 years old, holy cow) and she was basically crowned princess of the class:
This year has started out effortless, she has a fantastic teacher who communicates regularly via email and notes home (super responsive) – with NO TYPOS. Is this heaven!?!? Active PTA, super cool parents, really great building and just down the road from our sweet little home.
Important Kindergarten items of note:
- Backpack = turquoise Lands End backpack / clip on lunchbox (thanks Aunt Peggy!)
- Water bottle = Threadless ‘Funkalicious’ astronaut design Thermos
- Class folder = baby Emperor penguin
- Favorite lunch = peanut butter and jelly sandwich (followed closely by my green beans and potatoes)
- Best part about school so far = new sandbox, ‘spinners’ and dinosaur bones on playground